Born: May 4, 1840 Billings Bridge, Gloucester Twp, Carleton Co, Ontario Canada, s/o William Gillespie & Eliza Atkinson of Ireland
Died: 1916 in Brockville, Leeds Co, Ontario – reason why he was there unknown, if this is him.(I question this record, except date is also in Family Bible)
Burial: A small cemetery on Metcalf Road near farm, across from a Jewish Cemetery, Gloucester Twp, Carleton Co, Ontario
Married 1: Elizabeth Ann Mulligan December 12, 1867
- Born: 1842 Ireland, d/o John Mulligan and Eliza Boyd of Nepean Twp, Carleton Co, Ontario , History of the Mulligans from Co Down, Ireland provided on this site by another researcher.
- Elizabeth Mulligan Gillespie died: January 4,1898 at home on the farm, Gloucester Twp, Carleton Co, Ontario
- William Gillespie (1868-1943) married Lena Shore.1893
- John Gillespie (1871- m Elizabeth Cooks 1892
- James Gillespie (1872-1970) m Ella Cummings 1901
- Elizil Gillespie (1873-1875) Died young
- Samuel Gillespie (my father) (1875-1954) married 4 x
- Martha Gillespie (1877-1945) married John Shore 1899
- Nathan Gillespie (1877) Died young
- George Gillespie (1878-1968) m Martha Shore 1902
- Bertha Gillespie (1881-1886) Died young
- Margaret Gillespie (1883-
Margaret Gillespie birth Feb 4, 1883 Carleton, Ontario Father John Gillespie. Mother Elizabeth Mulligan. – my Dad’s sister, whom we thought was named Mable.
1881 Census, Gloucester, Russell, Ontario
1891 census Gloucester Russell, Ontario
Edward was a domestic servant, single, age 75 birth USA Free Will Baptist,
Marriage 2: (Ancestry.com)
|Marriage Date:||19 Jun 1901|
|Marriage Place:||Carleton, Ontario, Canada|
John’s 2nd Marriage to Mrs Mary Clifford (nee Davis), the widow of William Clifford, son of Thomas Clifford, who lived beside John all his life. William would have known all of Johns children from his first marriage. Mrs Clifford had four children from her first marriage with William Clifford, whom John then raised with her on the Gillespie farm.
Ruth Amy Gillespie, born August 31, 1902 in Pittsburgh Twp, Frontenac County, Ontario. She died June 21, 1985 in Hamilton, Ontario. Three marriages:
M 1 Walter Samuel Talmadge (1882-1960)
m2 Meredith McDowell, who died of cancer
m3 Reid Murray (1915-1991)
Ruth had one son, Murray Edward Talmadge. All buried in Hamilton Cemetery, Wentworth Co, Ontario
Notes: John Gillespie’s farm is identified as River Front Con 2, Lot 3f.